I'm tired of the ragging on Robin and Co.

Guest Apollo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that the same people spend all hours of the day on a forum dedicated to GNR in its current form, and make the same arguments for the past over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over again. As if they just copy and paste the same thing into every post, regardless of the topic.

UPDATE:

We got it. Paychecks... Slash was just as important... 'new' GNR isn't really GNR... the music will never live up to the old.

Okay, okay already. Now go back to your tight n' torn Lee jeans, white Reebok's and pink fishnet tops and find a forum for that kind of stuff.

In essence, get yourselves a life:) Really, think about it. Can't you see how pathetic you are? And you know who you are.

Slash360 - it's well known and if you do some research, you'll see that. It's been published numerous times that Slash especially wasn't fond of SCOM and Nov Rain. In fact, I just saw an interview with him from about 10 years ago where he was laughing about it.

Flower -

Jethro Tull won a grammy. In fact, they won the SAME grammy that VR did! RICKY MARTIN WON A GRAMMY!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct. Vel Revolver isn't a major player in the music industry, but they are a decent rock band.

I give them credit for that. Basically an older version of Buckcherry. Liberated will sell 2 million copies - (a lot because of the "name" of the people in the band) and after six months, their songs will dissapear from our minds forever!

Personally, I guess I just expected more from the guitar and bass player from the greatest rock band in the last 30 years. I thought Slash/Duff would get a kick ass singer and be a band that sold 5-6 million copies, sold out arenas and dominated the rock world. Not the greatest band in the world, but one that was generally considered one of the top 5 or 6 rock bands out there. And do that for a decade or so. Guess my expectations of Slash/Duff were just a little bit higher than yours were.

Pat-4-Axl,

Maybe because Axl cares about the product he puts out???? Sure, it's ridiculous that we've had to wait this long. But what would you rather have, an album that has the potential to be the most important rock album in a 2-3 year period? Or a band that just throws together 12 songs every year and puts them out, with half the album being nothing but fillers???

Look at 3-doors down. They said they wrote and recorded their last album in something like 18 days. And it shows. The album has 3-4 good songs on it, and the rest are fillers. I'd have much rather they'd spend a year working on it.

And come on! You know I LOVE you . . . . but did you really just say that you can buy AFD and LIES in the dollar bin? Appetite is one of the five greatest rock albums of ALL TIME. Contraband shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Appeite.

KICKING -

So you base a band's success on grammy nominations and chart history? Nsync and the Backstreet Boys and Britney have RULED the charts . . . . does that mean they kick ass? Britney has several top 10 hits and a grammy to her name. Do you respect her as an artist???? Ricky Martin won a grammy.

Fall To Pieces? If you are going to base the value and level of Vel Rev on that song . . . then you and I clearly shouldn't be debating music. FTP does not compare to ANY ballad GnR has put out. Ever. FTP appealed to 14 year old girls. Come on - you know this.

And expectations clearly were not LOW for the album!!!! And would you really call them a "new" band???? A "new band" is made up of young guys who are putting out their first album. Not the guitarist/bass player and drummer from one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. And a singer who was in a very successful rock band. Cracks me up how you people rip apart Axl and say that half of his current fame is just because of the GnR name! BUT THEN act like the fact "Contraband" is made by the FAMOUS names of Slash, Duff and Scott Weidland has NOTHING to do with the publicity!! You can't have it both ways, pahtna.

VR has a nice run going, without a doubt. But they have reached their peak, and we all know that in five years, they probably won't be together anymore.

Guess my expectations of Slash/Duff were just a little bit higher than yours were.

Hilarious, considering you seem more than willing to constantly pat Axl on the ass for again failing to release any music, and again fronting a glorified cover band that plays Appetite every night.

Tell ya what, champ, when your main man achieves any of the things I posted about VR and Slash, feel free to start talking shit. Until then keep listening to that brave new sound of Sebastian Bach and Right By Your Side ( :rofl-lol: ) - and try not to discuss good music like Velvet Revolver.

KICKING -

So you base a band's success on grammy nominations and chart history? Nsync and the Backstreet Boys and Britney have RULED the charts . . . . does that mean they kick ass? Britney has several top 10 hits and a grammy to her name. Do you respect her as an artist???? Ricky Martin won a grammy.

Fall To Pieces? If you are going to base the value and level of Vel Rev on that song . . . then you and I clearly shouldn't be debating music. FTP does not compare to ANY ballad GnR has put out. Ever. FTP appealed to 14 year old girls. Come on - you know this.

And expectations clearly were not LOW for the album!!!! And would you really call them a "new" band???? A "new band" is made up of young guys who are putting out their first album. Not the guitarist/bass player and drummer from one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. And a singer who was in a very successful rock band. Cracks me up how you people rip apart Axl and say that half of his current fame is just because of the GnR name! BUT THEN act like the fact "Contraband" is made by the FAMOUS names of Slash, Duff and Scott Weidland has NOTHING to do with the publicity!! You can't have it both ways, pahtna.

VR has a nice run going, without a doubt. But they have reached their peak, and we all know that in five years, they probably won't be together anymore.

In numerous posts, you have taken your opinions and asserted them as fact. Now, I realize that the information I presented made your post utterly credulous. For this, I apologize..

No matter how much you love Slash, you gotta admit that Axl's chances are WAY better to be a major player in the music industry.

Unfortunately, Velvet Revolver have achieved mainstream success in a market dominated by urban genres. How is this not relevant? They have won accolades and have earned acclaim from respected publications. Yet, you believe that Axl has a greater chance to be a major player. Based on what? An unreleased album and successfully completing a tour of Appetite for Destruction? Laughable..

Yes, you can make comparisons to NSync and The Backstreet Boys. They've won a lot of awards too. However, you fail to realize that Velvet Revolver are in a completely different genre - a genre that has made little impact in years. Debuting at #1 on the Billboard Top 100, while dethroning Usher - who was the biggest star of 2004 - was a feat that surprised many in the music industry. Upon further inquiry, Nielsen SoundScan's data has reconfirmed that Velvet Revolver have the best-ever debut for a new rock artist. Regardless of how you define a 'new band', this is what they have officially accomplished according to the most respected and trusted information system in North America..

In regards to award distinctions, previous artists to have won a Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance include: Metallica, Page & Plant, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Linkin Park, The Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine and System Of A Down. A far cry from Britney Spears and Ricky Martin, huh? The only reason you degrade this accomplishment is because it suits your argument..

Now, to repeat.. Fall to Pieces was #1 on the Mainstream Rock charts for 11 consecutive weeks. They are in the history books alongside U2 and the Black Crowes. However, since you believe it "appealed to 14 year olds", the song's success is completely without merit. Great argument, but keep reaching for those straws..

If you are going to base the value and level of Vel Rev on that song . . . then you and I clearly shouldn't be debating music.

In a previous thread, you claimed that Sebastian Bach's Right By Your Side was "the best ballad ... in a LONG time." Yes, I suppose we shouldn't be debating music.. ;)

EDIT: Ah, glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed..

-Kickingthehabit

Edited by Kickingthehabit

than having a Guns N' Roses CD from 1996 or 97 full of "Ain't Life Grand" type of songs. "Ain't Life Grand" is a good record, but it would not have been a good Guns N' Roses record.

I don't think if that material would've been worked on by GNR, that it would sound he same it did with Snakepit. You got the kick ass riffs, the kick ass solos, all you need is the solid rhythm of Matt and Duff, and once you top it off with Axl's vocals BOOM! there would be GNR.

Are you fucking for real?

Those Snakepit CDs are laughably bad. If that material didn't have Slash's name on it, the vast majority of you would not even give it a first look, let alone a second.

I don't think if that material would've been worked on by GNR, that it would sound he same it did with Snakepit.

did you miss that?

There's some great riffs and solos on there. Slash did his part on those albums. All they needed was maybe some fine-tuning. But Guitar-wise the work is there.

I'm actually a fan of the Snakepit albums, more so 'It's 12 o'clock Somewhere'. I love how bluesy it is...

So you base a band's success on grammy nominations and chart history?

I am not even involved in this debate in anyway.. was just lurking.. but I want to call attention to this stupid comment.

Yes, that's exactly how you measure success.

suc·cess /səkˈsɛs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suhk-ses] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.

2. the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.

I am curious to know what method of determining the success of a band Apollo uses.

Edited by argondamn

Dude, prolific lead singers are the most important part of great bands. Period.

I strongly agree with this. I've always been more a vocal person that an instrument player... although I'm sure a few of our guitar weilding friends among us would disagree with vocal being the main part.

The new songs are better than anything on the UYI albums anyways, and yes that is what I believe.
Are you autistic or something? That's the only explanation for a comment like this.

Although I wouldn't go as far as to label someone "autistic", I would have to agree with the reason behind it. I truly believe that the Illusion albums, and especially UYI2, are the greatest work ever created by GNR. I would ever go as far as to say UYI2 is the greatest album ever made. But of course, opinions are like assholes...

Edited by Leigh-Rok!