Most kickass metal album?

FunkyMonk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motley aren't true metal. Sure, you can say they're metal just becaue they're a hair-metal band, but that doesn't make them proper metal. Just like nu-metal and metalcore bands are proper metal.

Anything that's cheesey and radio friendly, and (to a lesser extent) technically simplistic isn't what metal is about.

If I had my way I'd label Crue as pop.

I mean...COME ON

That hooray for tolerance! shit ain't metal.

Okay, let's clear something up here. Motley Crue were established before hair metal (which most consider Bon Jovi kicked off). They only adapted hair metal production for their later albums. Their debut Too Fast for Love is a heavy metal album, since it does not incorporate pop production and is too heavy to be called hard rock. Even if bands like Bon Jovi could pass for hard rock, Motley Crue were always too heavy to be considered hard rock, even in the prime of their pop success with Dr. Feelgood. You chose a light song of theirs, stuff like "Kickstart My Heart", or "Wild Side" although hair-metallish is undoubtedly heavier. I'm not the biggest Motley Crue fan so this isn't really a defense of them, but I'm just getting facts straight. What else should we call them? Pop? They're much too heavy to be called pop. But even if you'd consider their later day albums pop, please listen to Too Fast for Love and explain to me how on earth it ISN'T metal?

I'll download that album sometime to give it a listen. Not sure what songs are on it, but every Crue song I've ever heard has been 100% generic hair metal.

Obviously it'd be foolish to comment on an album I've not heard. (As I sometimes feel people do around here)

And most of their stuff isn't too heavy to be pop IMO. I mean, the song I linked earlier (which I happen to be quite fond of, honestly, liked it when I was younger - nostalgia value) could easily fall under pop for me.

Edited by Ridin' the Nightrain

I'll download that album sometime to give it a listen. Not sure what songs are on it, but every Crue song I've ever heard has been 100% generic hair metal.

Tracklisting:

Live Wire

Come On And Dance

Public Enemy #1

Merry-Go-Round

Take Me To The Top

Piece Of Your Action

Starry Eyes

Too Fast For Love

On With The Show

It's not really thrash or very heavy metal at all, but I don't think you can put it into any other category other than metal, at least one sort of it. The pop influences are from 70's bands like Sweet or Cheap Trick.

Tracklisting:

Live Wire

Come On And Dance

Public Enemy #1

Merry-Go-Round

Take Me To The Top

Piece Of Your Action

Starry Eyes

Too Fast For Love

On With The Show

It's not really thrash or very heavy metal at all, but I don't think you can put it into any other category other than metal, at least one sort of it. The pop influences are from 70's bands like Sweet or Cheap Trick.

Isn't Shout At The Devil heavier :tongue2:

Guest knerken

Motley aren't true metal. Sure, you can say they're metal just becaue they're a hair-metal band, but that doesn't make them proper metal. Just like nu-metal and metalcore bands are proper metal.

Anything that's cheesey and radio friendly, and (to a lesser extent) technically simplistic isn't what metal is about.

If I had my way I'd label Crue as pop.

I mean...COME ON

That hooray for tolerance! shit ain't metal.

Okay, let's clear something up here. Motley Crue were established before hair metal (which most consider Bon Jovi kicked off). They only adapted hair metal production for their later albums. Their debut Too Fast for Love is a heavy metal album, since it does not incorporate pop production and is too heavy to be called hard rock. Even if bands like Bon Jovi could pass for hard rock, Motley Crue were always too heavy to be considered hard rock, even in the prime of their pop success with Dr. Feelgood. You chose a light song of theirs, stuff like "Kickstart My Heart", or "Wild Side" although hair-metallish is undoubtedly heavier. I'm not the biggest Motley Crue fan so this isn't really a defense of them, but I'm just getting facts straight. What else should we call them? Pop? They're much too heavy to be called pop. But even if you'd consider their later day albums pop, please listen to Too Fast for Love and explain to me how on earth it ISN'T metal?

That's right

• 2 weeks later...