I'm getting a cheapo bass just to learn and practice on, so I just want to know like what the strings are? Is it simiar to guitar? I know bass clef is lower. anything else?

What are some good books to pick up for chords ect.?

oh yeah, I play guitar now so will it be easier for me to learn bass?

Aye I'd say a Squier Bass or something would be a good start. I have a precision fender that i got 2nd hand for 230 sterling. If ya can get one of those for cheap enough id go for it cause they're great.

The sound of a bass is deeper than the guitar. They usually have 4 strings and are usually tuned the same way - E A D G etc.

A lot of bass lines will consist of notes based around the chord. Eg Sweet Child O Mine is based around the D, C, G chords for the verses and intro.

It shouldn't be too difficult to learn it if you are already a competent guitar player. Bass players are usually extremely solid as the rhythm section of the band relies heavily on the drums and bass as one unit kind of.

www.ultimate-guitar.com is good for bass tabs I think.

If you have come into this off the back of being a guitarist. Just remember that it isn't a guitar. You hear so many bassists who think that playing a million notes a second with a bit of overdrive is the coolest shit anyone could pull off (i.e. Cliff Burton) and they completely lose the groove.

Woo bass! :xmassrudolph:

I can't give advice cause I'm pretty shithouse, just have fun with it and try not to get bored. It gets a tad tiring to practice on your own when you suck balls...but it gets better :).

I'd take a cheap Ibanez over a cheap squire. Squires are absolutely horrible in every aspect I've ever seen. And its just like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar. Don't let people say bass players shouldn't use picks either, I personally prefer the sound.